Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoodles View Post
CayoKay - I was reading your comments - how do you
live in Belize and get disability from California - I'm sure there is a story here but I don't know what your situation is or how you ended up in Belize. I hear that is a BEAUTIFUL place to be !!!
storytime!

I lived and worked in Calif for nearly 30 years.

many years ago... I had fallen in love with Belize after visiting the tiny country, and seeing the low cost of land and building... an idea began to form in my brain to create a farm, and try to live simply and sustainably, and raise all my own food.

during my last remission (before dx of SPMS) and with my kids off to college, bangin' around in a big ol' house in Calif, mightily dismayed by the direction of the US, I put my home on the market, held yard sales, and donated stuff to the women's shelter, until I had only a few necessities left...

then, I packed six very large bags, hopped on a plane, and returned to Belize, to live in a rental shack... after a year, my husband followed me here (he had to finish up work obligations)

that year was a "trial period" to see if I could HACK the climate and the denizens of the rainforest.... which I could, with a generator (frequent power failures) to run the fans, and butane appliances (hey I didn't even KNOW they made fridges that run on gas!)

I've been here over 3 years now, and doing very well...

ooops, sorry Finny, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

we now return you to your regularly scheduled When do you know it's time to stop working?