View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Bec, you are too funny (I know, not what you were expecting). I guess I had you closer to sainthood with monitoring your kids' diets. Is Trevor on a more restricted diet? (Just trying to figure out why I assumed Spencer was off dairy and gluten and other foods.)

If you're really uncomfortable with the thought of trying drugs, by all means try getting rid of your allergenic foods. It's easier having the whole family eat the same thing, anyway. (No, Mr. Kay doesn't eat like the rest of us, either.)

The nice thing with getting Tom off of all dairy is that we've been able to pinpoint all seizure triggers since. For him, it is a delayed effect. He had brown rice syrup around 1:30 in the afternoon ("organic" Graham crackers) and the seizure hit around 2 in the morning. And my York-allergy-testing friend said that the asparagus they said she reacted to took a good 24 hours before she noticed a reaction. (She said she would have never figured that one out on her own.) Just trying to say, when you do add the food back in, make sure you wait long enough before adding back another food.

You probably already know this, but if you do try drugs, they will make it harder to determine if Spencer has a reaction to the foods or not. I'm not sure if "they" would let you give the food restrictions a try and then repeat an EEG in 6 months or so?

You've got me kind of excited that this might help Spencer. (((Hugs))) (And, if you do end up trying drugs, that's okay, too. There's no right or wrong answer sometimes.)
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote