View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
SSRIs and SSNIs cause withdrawal because they alter neurotransmitters in the brain. That is, THEY CHANGE you. Just like narcotics.
The only difference is that narcotics work on different receptors.
To elaborate on this a bit....

Any medication/drug you take that alters your body chemistry carries withdrawal risk. Examples:

Cymbalta is an SSNI (or SSNRI) - selective seratonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It allows more seratonin and norepinephrine to remain circulating in the body, which (in successful cases) makes you feel better. Take it away, levels drop - and your body protests because it got used to having those neurotransmitters at those levels.

Opiates behave similarly to endorphins. Over time using opiates, the body actually reduces endorphin production. When opiate use is stopped, it takes time for the body's endorphin production to get back to normal (which is why opiate withdrawal is horrible and potentially lethal). The person in withdrawal is short on a hormone essential for pain control, happiness, energy - feeling good at all.

Cigarettes stimulate dopamine production - another "feel good" hormone and neurotransmitter present in antidepressants such as Wellbutrin. That's why cigarettes are so addictive, and why it is hard to quit. The new drug, Chantix, works to alter this reward system and is therefore pretty effective.

In my personal opinion, the level of withdrawal issues is directly proportionate to the person's psychological dependence on how the drug makes them feel. That's why some people can taper off with ease, and others go through Dante's Inferno getting clean. But regardless of that, whenever your body chemistry is chemically altered, time is required to restore it to normal.

I've been on Cymbalta since 11/07. It works very well for me at 60 mg. I know if I ever want "off" I'll have to taper - but it works so good for neuropathic pain, I don't know why I would stop taking it.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
--Robert Frost

Last edited by MizBarbie; 01-28-2008 at 07:31 PM.
MizBarbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote