View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

It does sound like you may be in an attack, defined as having "new, or worsening of existing symptoms, lasting longer then 24 hrs".

I have never done steroids (due to the potential short and long-term side-effects), but I thought I might if my eyesight (or breathing) was effected. However, the most recent trial called "Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial" indicates that steroids are not necessarily helpful:

These relevant results are briefly summarized below:

- Visual recovery begins rapidly (within 2 weeks) in most optic neuritis patients without any treatment, and then improvement continues for up to 1 year. Although most patients recover to 20/20 or near 20/20 acuity, many still have symptomatic deficits in vision.

- The probability of a recurrence of optic neuritis in either eye within 5 years is 28 percent. Visual recovery after a second episode in the same eye is generally very good.

- Treatment with high-dose, intravenous corticosteroids followed by oral corticosteroids accelerated visual recovery but provided no long-term benefit to vision.

- Treatment with standard-dose oral prednisone alone did not improve the visual outcome and was associated with an increased rate of new attacks of optic neuritis.

http://www.nei.nih.gov/neitrials/vie...Web.aspx?id=47

Do you know if you have spinal and/or brain lesions?

Cherie