View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Can you explain the stuttering a bit more? For example, is she getting stuck pronouncing a word, repeating the same word, breaking words up or troubles with word gathering (hopefully that made sense).

I have some Neurological complications (using that term to save time typing it all up), and I have the problems you listed excluding true stuttering. I do, however, repeat the same word twice or sometimes 'fumble' a word; like saying, I'm going to the st-store' or I will say, I'm going to to the store' or sometimes I forget an entire word, and so on.

The jerks I have are called Myoclonic Jerks, and mine were diagnosed as Myoclonic Seizures during the day, and at the night they are more severe (typically before bed or while falling asleep).

Here is a link to Myoclonic Seizures and another for Myoclonic Jerks.

I also have Tachycardia, which never brings any abnormalities on an Echocardiogram. I had this recorded via Holter Monitor as well as during a VEEG where my heart rate will go from the 80's to the 150's and higher. This happens even while resting. They are yet to find a diagnosis, but are now considering some beta blockers or something. It's been harmless so far, but it is annoying and I'm sure if you ask her if she's aware of her heartbeat she will say 'yes' and probably agree being aware of it is very aggravating. I've found Inositol to be helpful but I'd suggest to speak with a doctor before trying anything even if it is over-the-counter (which Inositol is). Eliminating caffeine yielded no results for my heart palpitations, by the way.

I also have hand tremors which I have found nothing helps them, I've had these for a long time (since I was a kid) and my Neurologist says this along with my jerks are related to my Epilepsy.

You're more than welcome to come over to the Epilepsy Forum for more information, I'm sure they'd be of great assistance even if it's not Epilepsy-related. Most of us are very familiar with the Myoclonic jerks (and can give good Neurologist tips).

Make sure she gets an EEG and a MRI/MRA of her brain, too!

Best wishes to you.

-Ellie

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote