View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Roger,

When I first researched TOS in 2002, no one had a list of testing for it, and the internet articles gave very inaccurate information. Just in that time, the articles have changed, and I know this as I have a file and shockingly the top US government sites have changed their statements in significant ways. So TOS knowledge and opinions are changing at an alarming, but perhaps more informed, rate.

I have a 20 and 24 year old - both girls also. So that you understand my financial picture when I first got symptoms, at the point I got sick, I had just sold my home in Orange County and was going to buy a newer, larger one by the beach. I was also just about to lease a brand new jaguar convertible - my girls already had their car funds set (by me) and they did end up with their cars, only not the ones we had planned. We already had a brand new Lexus SUV. Financially, I was on the rise, and in my law firm, I was definitely on an equity ownership path about to be realized. I never did lease the jaguar - something instinctually told me not to. I did not buy a new house - I rented one by the beach and only recently lost it, having to move to my weekend place here in Palm Springs, and using almost all of my substantial savings to weather this illness, pay for out-of-pocket expenses, meds, non-covered visits to TOS experts, and be able to fight the insurance co.s for the policies and benefits I had in place before I got sick. (The insurance co.s like to cut things off, and then I have to hire law firms to threaten them, then they start things back up, but during that time, I would've been homeless and without any funds to fight them if not for that substantial savings fund.)

The oldest daughter I was able to put through her double major university degree with no cost to her, no monies owed. She went off to school just as I was starting to get the symptoms. At the time, the ortho hand expert (and I got the BEST doc in Orange County) said I was just suffering some overuse...no need to stop working or worry...what bad advice that was. I lost precious time and got terrible medical advice from him. Now, my oldest is trying to figure out how to do a master's degree.

The younger understood my limitations, since I had to stop working when my hand blew up red like a lobster and I couldn't dress or shower anymore. She has chosen to start with a community college, which kills me, despite having an established college account. She is trying to refrain from using it, yet, as she plans to get her PHD.

She actually wants to get a health science (research) degree so that she can help to find a cure for my injury. I think she is an angel from heaven...I surely don't want her to alter her career plans for me, but she really seems excited about the health field and her goals, so I am excited for her.

My girls watched me grow from being supermom, super attorney, super judge and all around go-getter, to being bedridden. It's affected them both enormously, despite my counseling for them. (I've disclosed before that I've spent a total of probably $20K for both of them to have years of counseling for this.)

I will post my usual (macro'd) post about the testing for TOS. Unfortunately, there is not a one-shot test that will show TOS. It would be so much easier if so. But the issues of physical therapy are important, as is one's choice of doctor, etc. I had "bad" docs first who although they said they "knew TOS", I now know did not. For me, going to Denver was great as it finally gave me a definitive diagnoses, neuro TOS, (or brachial plexus neuritis), RSD, fibromyalgia, and one doctor believes I have a rheumatological disorder which has not been identified because as he puts it, "there are hundreds of rheumatological diseases which haven't got a name, there are not tests for them yet, and they go unidentified yet you suffer from one."

I don't think heavy lifting was the cause of my illness. I actually think that using a mouse, repeatedly, caused micro damage that ultimately caused the big damage that I deal with now.

I also would really wish that I had the health to research and analyze this situation as I normally would have. But also the statistics on repetitive strain injuries / TOS / nerve damage as a result of computer use, both on leisure and work time, just aren't available yet. None of the main health organizations (CDC, NINDS, OSHA) publish yet appropriate statistics (that I have found) on this subject, for me to start any kind of research on it. My guess is that the current ergonomics / keyboard / mouse (with the exception of voice software used exclusively from day one) are the culprit for a new generation of nerve injuries that are not yet understood. My youngest daughter believes this also.

In law, we have products liability. I wonder when and what will happen when and if my theory proves correct.

What is your background in computer use - how many years? Did you work on one for more than 8 hours in a day? How long have you had symptoms, and what are your primary symptoms? Do you yet require any medications?

It is true that with a cervical rib (that is not the norm) your possibility for recovery is higher, from my reading. Also, it seems so far (again from reading) that men seem to recover to a higher degree than women.

You don't mention work comp, but even if one has a cervical rib, unless you have another reason (like an auto accident) where one can definitely point to causation, then work is likely the cause. I always suggest that people get a free consult from a work comp attorney who has expertise in repetitive strain injuries to the upper body (computer industry experience) to analyze whether you have a claim for potential permanent disability and future medical as well as legally holding one's position under current employment law.

Best of luck to you on your healing path.

Last edited by tshadow; 01-29-2008 at 10:08 AM.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote