Thread: Thyroid seminar
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just read a book that states the standard screening for thyroid function is not very accurate for most people - essentially many people are screened and are "normal" yet actually do have some form of thyroid dysfunction.

The book is The Diet Cure by Julia Ross (might be Julie).

It also goes into a bit more detail in that Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disorder where the body is attacking the thyroid! And just like CD, it's is missed by docs b/c they do not do the entire Thyroid panel, just the one Thyroid function test, if you have the thyroid hormone that stimulates the products of the other necessary hormones -- your fine -- but truly you might not be.

My mw thinks I need to have my thyroid checked, I've had the basic one done that states it's fine -- now I'm reading, hey, just like CD an entire panel tell the entire picture and is necessary.

I'm deciding now if I'm going to try a supplement approach first before I go see a doc, right now I'm taking L-tyrosine which is produced by the thyroid (if memory severs me correctly), anyway, there is a complementary supplement to L-tyrosine that might help with my fatigue and weight by supporting my Thyroid. Since thyroid drugs are safe in pregnancy the supplement should be too. I'm just started researching that one today.
Electra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote