View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mirapex Supporter

I am another PWP who has taken Mirapex ever since it first became available and, for me, it has been a miracle drug. I think it should be prescribed by doctors who tell their patients all the potential side-effects - as with any drug they prescribe. If patients are aware of the drugs's potential to cause addictive behaviors (gambling, sexual) in SOME users, they can stop the medication should unwanted behaviors begin.

But, to stop the production and use of Mirapex all together is unfair to people like me who have benefitted greatly from it. Remember how horrible we all thought it was when Amgen stopped the patient trials of whatever drug it was because SOME patients devloped major problems with it (heart disease or cancer - I can't remember which)? PWP's in the Amgen trials SUED the company to try to force them to continue the trials for those participants who were doing so well on the drug. They lost their lawsuit and the improvement in the quality of their lives that the Amgen product had provided.

If they took every drug off the market that causes bad side-effects for users, Eldepryl (aka Selegiline) would have to be off the market based on my reaction to it. I never even managed to titrate up to a full dosage because it made me feel mean as it took effect. I was nauseaus, had hot flashes, crushing headaches, etc.etc. For me, it was an awful, awful drug but for many PWP's, it helps a lot.

So, as with any drug, make sure those who are prescribed Mirapex should be made aware of all potential risks, but don't stop producing a drug that sop many of us use with great success.
DJM1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote