View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
-

15 yr Member
-

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow View Post
In my experience with TOS and PT, pain is not acceptable, per discussions with Dr. Togut, Dr. Ellis and Drs. Brantigan and Annest, as well as the PT team at Hoag Hospital, Focus on Health and the team in Denver. All discussed with me in differing detail why PT for TOS cannot involve any pain or strengthening or work hardening. This doesn't mean that some aspect of the PT might later cause a small bit of pain, but anything more than just a small bit they all said was doing more nerve damage than helping. In fact, they explained that if one has pain after walking 10 minutes, that you should do several 3 minute walks (or whatever doesn't cause pain) rather than try to meet "normal" goals or push yourself.

Just my take - everyone can have differing views.
No one is saying to strive for pain.
I said "Some" pain. It is something that happens whether we want it or not (no one really wants it). So when in pain I believe there is a lesson to be learned.
PT will inevitably involve some pain...it is a signal that oops went too far...or oops that movement/position is not okay. That said, the signal OF pain tells both the practitioner and the patient something of value.
Obviously one doesn't want to damage the nerve at all or further.
I disagree with strengthening. I have accomplished a lot of decompression because I strengthened certain weak muscles. In so doing, I did not create pain that did not already exist. Those muscles are now strong enough to HOLD my upper body such that it will not compress the nerve (more work is required to get complete relief as there is still some compression from time to time). Of course this is MY situation but it could apply to many others. I too have spoken with my PT and doctor about the pros and cons of pain and strengthening.
humorme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote