View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Draw4U,

I am not familiar with the hard brace; just never had to wear one. With both of my fusions it was a soft brace that I could remove to sleep although I did sleep in it for the first couple of weeks. Is there a reason your doc is recommending the hard brace? And the stitches I had dissolved; so that wasn't an issue. I hope someone else will come along that has had experience with the hard brace.

And, personally, I would stay clear of any herbs. Just take the meds they prescribe. And the biggest thing my NS wanted me to do was to walk as much as I could. Of course they will give you a list of what not to do. I would just be fearful that the herbs could interfere with the meds. And I don't think they would really do much good anyway. But that is just my own opinion.

As for post op...yes, and they will tell you, do NOT lift anything over "x" amount of pounds. My restrictions were always...nothing over 5 lbs at first and then over time I could up that. But I don't even lift over 20 lbs. even now and it is has been over a year. And there is a whole lot more I just don't have time list. But one of my favorite things to use was a "grabber" so that I didn't have to bend to pick up anything and used it to reach for things too. And last, but not least, and ONLY when it comes time to to the stretches, do them in a hot shower...it is much easier!

I am sure more people will post with even more ideas. And good luck with your surgery. I think you will find it is much easier than you think. I had my last one done as an outpatient and it was not a big deal...so hang in there!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote