View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Fibro is thought to be central pain disorder, where the amplitude of nervous signals is higher than normal. .......and is now thought to be hereditary......any TRIGGER, illness or syndrome of pain, will set it into motion............. I think PN qualifies as a trigger. But that does not mean PN causes fibro... in everyone. You have to be genetically wired to respond that way.
Thanks, Mrs D........do you think a rheumy might arbitrarily attribute fibro to a PN patient, who really doesn't have a family history of pain syndromes- that are not concisely diagnosed?
I mean, if there is some family history, but all illnesses or conditions have been recognized, & treated successfully with no indication of fibro in the past.

I realize that fibro would not have been Dx'd way in the past, as it is not a long-standing recognized affliction/disease/condition.(??)
It seems it is fairly new on the scene and there would be no past history that had been Dx'd as such. It would have to be a determination of a current doc that it had not been recognized, or was thought to be some other condition.(to be considered as hereditary)
As I mentioned, it is not something that can be definitively Dx'd by a blood test
or MRI or CT scan (would it show on a nerve velocity conduction test? If so, it would then be Dx'd by a neuro - wouldn't it?).
It seems it is determined by taking an oral history, putting 2+2 together
and coming up with 5.
From what I've read, many docs don't/didn't recognize it and patients who thought it might be applicable to them, were discounted & treated as if they were 'malingerers'.