View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Uh, I have a question.

How can a doctor say something does not exist?? Take Fibro for example.

Over 8 years ago, there was a tv show called Strong Medicine. I will never forget this episode. The doctor was played by Janine Turner.

A woman is brought in crying hysterically in pain and she tells them "I have Fibromyalgia". The doctor just looks at her.

The nurse takes the doctor aside and says "what do we give her, she has Fibromyalgia?" and Janine Turner responds: 'there's no such thing as Fibromyalgia, it doesn't exist". The nurse then said 'But she's in pain, we have to DO SOMETHING!!!"

The main part of this episode was teaching Janine Turner that this woman had a real pain issue and by the end of the episode, she was given morphine.

I remember saying "How can a person have fibromyalgia, and a doctor says "there's no such thing", and then give the person meds for their pain??

I just don't get it.

A condition either exists or it doesn't, right? I mean, a person is not going to come in to the ER writhing in pain and make the whole thing up.

So how come now (and I saw the commercial for Lyrica), how come NOW there is an acknowledged condition known as fibromyalgia (I know two people who have been diagnosed by the way).

If this is so, how can some physicians still say "it does not exist".

Please someone explain this way of thinking to me.

I mean, physicians go to med school, they must learn about this, no???

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote