View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

boann,

I'll try to answer your questions, but I'm no expert.

First, if you have long term disability where you work now, do NOT leave. It is precious.

Second, you can call the Social Security office or go to SSA.gov and get a form that you complete and send in that will give you a record of your earnings and an estimate of what your benefit would be if you became disabled.

Your LTD policy will explain to you what they consider disabled and how much if anything you can earn. If it is too comolicated go to your HR person and get them to explain it to you.

If you become disabled under Social Security you will get a benefit and will probably be eligible for Medicare. Medicaid is for people with limited (very) income, your LTD should rule that out. Medicare does have a Part D section for drugs, but I've found it worthless. Frankly with the price of Pd drugs you are on your own. You should also look into a Medicare supplemental policy. Believe me you will needit. Also, it takes awhile to be approve3d for Social Security so be sure to look into COBRA from your employerw for health coverage until you qualify for Medicare

Good luck!.
MKane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote