View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialneeds View Post

So now I am wondering if she is allergic to Wheat instead of milk which we were eliminating. She also has been tested for Celiac Disease through the blood test several times which have been normal. I have Celiac Disease. She has been on the GF diet in the past but we did not see much difference.
It's my experience that when multiple issues are going on with kids you may not see the results when just one variable is addressed. My dd has been on severl elimination diets. Egg turned out neg b/c we were looking for the wrogn symptoms (We were trying to cure headaches, never thought to ask if they made her nauseous. A year or more later she confided that she only liked eating eggs for dinner...when she was going to be laying down afterward.) Milk seemed a mild issue...we avoided major lactose but still used cheese I thought with success. After we got the migraines under control I found some of her refluxing or "regurgitation syndrome" as the ped puts it, was independant of head pain. And our new dairy free trial appears to have stopped it. Anyways...too many issues mask success. And kids lack the vocab (esp when there are further developmental issues, such as Autism) to express their symptoms. They also may view symptoms as normal. I know I did. Never did "get" why anyone would serve food before dancing. Food was the party-concluder, when everyone goes home to curl up, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialneeds View Post
She is also allergic to grasses. Also, what does it mean when the allergy testing shows a wheat allergy for IGG but not for IGE?
Grasses are closely related to true grains (wheat, spelt, barley, oats, rice, corn) and its my understanding some people with grass allergies feel better avoiding all grains (and sugarcane) during high pollen season. IgG antibodies are associated with delayed reactions, and not likely to be anaphylactic. IgE antibodies are the ones well known for their association with anaphylaxis. In other words, IgG affects life quality, IgE threatens life quantity.

It makes sense to me to eliminate all potential reactions (positive scores or high risk cross reactive foods) and then, once they "even out" challenge under a dr's care. (Or at least in close proximity to a hospital) That way you can establish their true tolerance levels, and weed out false positives. Meanwhile, a food diary may help to find any more links to foods that were not tested for.
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote