Thread: Plasma TV
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Melody,

You've got it right; if buying a new TV, there might be other things needed to assure that the TV will work as intended.

I thought: new TV, it'll work. But... as I've shared, it's more complex these days.

Having the luxury of time to get it straightened out more quickly would have been nice, but work interfered. Go figure .

Anyone buying a new TV, with Dish or Cable, should ask the provider of the services if upgrades to equipment are needed.

I kept trying to tell techs. that I suspected the TV was ahead of the other stuff, but, ohhh, they know it all. I could have spared a lot of stress, etc., if only they would have "heard" what I was saying.

With Direct TV and newer TVs: Please also know that transmitters are also needed. Supposed to be "wireless," but that's a misnomer. A transmitter has to be placed near the TV and run to a landline. If that's not possible, then a secondary transmitter has to be plugged into the landline. (The two components cost $40 - at this time.)

By 2009: a dish upgrade will be needed for some as well. Right now, that upgrade runs between $49 and $99. I've been told, call various depts. within the service provider to "shop" the best deal.

After all the stress of getting my TV to work as designed (and for houseguests), it has proved worth it.

Philips (USA not an outsource) had been calling to see if and how the set is working. Seems the manufacturer no more wants a return than do I want to have to arrange for a pick-up. (Over 37"... the retailer's policy is in-home service and stuff.)

I hate this tedium, though; it's like: They gotta know more than do the customers. Ego, I suspect. But they coulda "listened" and spared a ton of time and stress.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote