View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialneeds View Post
I just got the doctor's script for eliminating the foods. How does one get the school to make lunches free of these foods. My son is on an IEP and is in the Level 3 placement.
I'm in California. Last week, Tom came home with a form: Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accomodations from the Nutrition Services Division of the California Dept of Education. I'm assuming he got it because I filled out the school forms listing allergies. It has two options: A) Participant is disabled or has a medical condition and REQUIRES a special meal or accomodation. A licensed physician must sign. and B) Participant is not disabled, but is REQUESTING a special meal or accommodation. An example may include a food intolerance. A licensed physician, physician's assistant, or registered nurse must sign this form.

I really need to talk to either his teacher or the cafeteria folk about the form. I prefer Option A, but *I'm* not requesting that they feed my son. GF without rice eliminates a lot of ready made stuff, and then to remove dairy on top of that... And I don't trust them. They could do a lot of whole foods, but he's a picky eater and it's important that he actually EAT the food he's served. So... I'm doing nothing. Anyway, if you have something from your doctor, I'd see if your state has a similar type form.

Oh... and what's a "Level 3 placement?" Tom has an IEP. I have no idea what level he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialneeds View Post
Any ideas of lunches for school which do not have to be refigerated or cooked. This is our schools regulations... Which I think will be difficult to do.:
Tom is in special ed and they have a refrigerator (small cube) and a microwave. I send in cold food, they refrigerate it, and later heat it for him. I would think with the note/script from the doctor, something could be arranged. Somewhere in the school there should be a refrigerator and microwave for him. Maybe call another IEP to address it? Maybe the spec ed resource person could take charge? Or the cafeteria folk, as a compromise to not being able to meet his dietary needs? If you can find a similar form to the one I mentioned, I would think they'd jump through hoops to allow refrigerator and microwave use.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote