View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Ok,

Here's what I wrote. For good or bad. At least it's from the heart. It took everything out of me, frankly. I forgot the links.

PLEASE JOIN WITH ME and let's try to get a panel going.

"I used to be a CA work comp attorney who represented employers / insurance co.s again fraudulent work injury claims. Ironically, I became ill myself, through work activities, as I now have neurogenic TOS that resulted from long hours on the computer, poor ergonomics at work - despite my requests for improvements - and something in my body that was susceptible to the small, repetitive injuries to my brachial plexus (where all of the nerves and veins flush in and out at the neck) that ultimately resulted in permanent nerve / neurological / vascular damage. There is no cure for TOS. I now fight the same system I was once a part of.

The big point is that even though TOS is considered rare, (and good government or medical statistics are strangely lacking), that in the advent of increased computer use, just in the past 5 years lone, I am seeing many, many more TOSers joining our national support group, and that the ages have gone from "middle aged", to the young 20's, due to the modernization of technology and the industry demands for excessively long hours of work via computer. I fear that these younger generations are not being properly warned about the dangers of this totally debilitating and permanent nerve disease.

In my own family, my two daughters, ages 20 and 24, have been each impacted by my illness, seeing their mom go from "supermom" attorney, judge and political activist, to being bedridden. We've lost out home, our savings, (due to medical related costs), and our future has totally changed. I actually fear being homeless, despite having insurance in work comp and private salary replacement insurance and social security. Each ins. co. has at some point refused benefits arbitrarily, and I've had to fight for my rights. Luckily for me, I have attorney friends who have come to my rescue. Sadly, most people do not have that help. The pain I live with every hour of every day is horrific. I have all of my medical records, currently have a team of doctors, and I've seen 30 of the very best medical professionals both locally in in other states to try to find a cure or effective treatment for this "life sentence."

I want to come on the show because I have never seen nor heard of any warning or discussion about this growing group of illnesses referred to as repetitive strain injuries, which I believe will be a huge threat to the next generation of workers.

I would love to talk to Dr. Phil about this medical nightmare, to ask for help for dealing with my own children, my own fear, but mostly, to warn other younger workers how to avoid becoming ill from their job
."
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote