View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw4u View Post
New to the board and was just browsing a few sites to get some expectations on what is coming up on Monday for me. I have a couple of questions. They are removing the disk between C5-C6 and replacing with a cadaver bone and plate, which all seems to be fairly common. My questions are this:

1. The surgeon told me that I would need to wear the hard brace for 10 days until the stitches came out. I have read that the hard brace can be unbearable at times. Is this a brace that you can take on and off or is it more like a cast that can't be removed unless it is cut off?

2. Do you have to wear the brace while sleeping or resting?

3. Are there any herbs that are recommended to improve the healing time and success? He said it will take me 3 months to completely heal since I am a healthy non-smoker,

4. Any post-op lessons learned that you can pass on? I have read that I will likely experience a sore throat and issues swallowing, but wondered if you had any tips for getting thru the first few days after surgery.

I had ACDF at C6-7 seven weeks ago. Never wore a hard brace. I had a soft collar for the night I was in the hospital - I wore it home, but did not wear it after that and did not need it except for the first few nights sleeping. I had very little trouble with the sore throat/swallowing issues. Some, but not much. I still get the lump in my throat feeling every now and then but it's not awful.

My biggest problem is muscle spasms in my upper back/lower neck now that I've gone back to work (desk job). Aside from that, though - I feel fine. No pain, no residual grief, no nothing. Another problem I have is sometimes wanting to overdo it BECAUSE I do feel so good. I don't feel like I ever had anything wrong -- although the x-rays clearly show the donor bone and the plate.

You'll read plenty of horror stories here and on other boards - but not all ACDFs are like that. Mine is (so far) successful. My recovery was, literally, a piece of cake - not NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be. I was off the heavy pain meds fairly soon. I am still, however, taking Flexeril for muscle spasms.

Best of luck to you for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Kelly
Redhotbeads is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote