View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default No, it is very complicated--

--inasmuch as the Internet is a relatively new medium and most of the legal cases that wil one day decide these gray areas have not even been joined yet.

Dr. John's guide is as current as any, and he acknowledges that there may be broad questions as to whether full copying is permitted depending on the number of people involved--the definition of "personal use" is ambiguous on-line--and whether or not any profit may be involved. Where this gets hazy is in situations, say, where an article is copied to a nono-profit site, but that site may be partially supported by advertising, and driving more eyeballs to it "benefits" the advertisers and/or the site (which may get a higher rate from the advertisers based on views) . . .

For the meantime, since I recognize Mrs. D's dilemma, I just tend to post links, with a citation in the post IF I include any text at all in the post from the link, and I do "favorite" really relevant things on my computer AND often make a copy to my hard drive if I suspect it's from a site where the link will expire. If the link does expire and I have to send it to someplace else, it goes with a full citation.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-01-2008)