View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for your reply Tshadow! I was diagnosed with a peripheral neuropathy over a year ago. It's called CIDP. My neurologist never discussed CIDP with me. I just received literature on the discease when I started IVIG therapy.

To make a very, very long story short, I started getting weakness in my arms and neck about 6 years ago. I remember, because I had just turned 30. I started to go to the gym to excercise my arms and continued this for about 3 years. It didn't progress quickly at all so I never suspected that it was something serious. Finally, I started to limp on my right foot. Not all the time. It happened after I would walk a few block and then I would walk on the outer right side of my foot. My big toe got very week and my foot would drop.

I finally went to an orthopedist for the drop foot. From there I went to a spine specialst and a physical therapist. Nothing helped. Finally I went to my Neurologist who I have been with for just over 2 years now. He was convinced I had ALS at first. We did all the usual tests - EMG, spinal tap, muscle/nerve biopsy, many blood tests and MRI scans. Everything was inconclusive. The only thing that is definite is that we did rule out MS, ALS and some other illnesses.

I came to this forum because I physical therapist that I worked with said I had an extra rib. I have always had back and neck pain and sometimes pain down my arms. It would explain the weekness in my arms. Both my legs are pretty week now, but I am still walking. I have been on IVIG therapy for the past year now. I don't think I am getting any weeker, but I am not getting better. My symptoms just don't seem to be the same as many of the other PN sufferers.

One other strange thing that happened to me was about 6 years ago I had a rheumatic spell right before all this happened. I had burning across my hips upmy back and down my thighs for about 3 months. One day it was gone and never came back.

I know this is a very confusing email, but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thank you!!
Valese72 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote