View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
-

15 yr Member
-

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer View Post
My PT has tried to physically push my shoulders back when I'm lying on my back, and it just doesn't happen, the muscle is that tight. In fact, when I lie on my back the right shoulder doesn't touch the surface from the shoulder to the bottom of the scapula.
I "had" that....I still have to work to get more "backwards" but....you have to do MORE. Stretch...is helping the Pec Minor....STRENGTENING the back muscles (i.e. rhomboids and mid traps) will allow the shoulders to be HELD back. If the back is weak (and it is probably as is typical of this syndrome...i.e. pec minor) it needs to be strengthened to pull back against the draw forward of the pec minor. At the moment the pec minor is taking full control ...you have to reverse that and tell the back to take over control and NOT allow the pec minor to win that battle. It takes A LOT of time and work...daily...but if you keep at it, you WILL eventually see the results and FEEL the results. Posture is a start...but your "default" position is still pec minor in control and rhomboids/mid-traps giving in. You will NOT see results overnight. It will take at least 6-9 months of strengthening exercises on an almost daily basis to start to notice the improvement. I've been at it almost 2 years now and I still have a few more inches to get but my back is much more in command and pec minor is giving up. The PT has seen the change and is ****** because she didn't take a before shot.
humorme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote