View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've read many threads about this very question on another board, and it seems like the answer varies alot from one community to the next.

In my community, it seems that the only legal option is to take it to the local county health department for disposal. They charge a small fee ($5). No one else here will take them (pharmacies, physician's offices, etc.); they all referred me to the health dept.

In other communities, some of those other medical people will do it for you. An MSPathways nurse from a larger city just 30 miles away told me to use a coffee can or an empty bleach bottle and tape it up an throw it in the trash.

That wouldn't be legal here, and I wouldn't feel right about putting sanitation workers at risk of getting a needle stick. I know that they wouldn't contract anything from one of my needles, but there's no sense in them worrying about where that needle might have come from.

Jane's suggestions about who to call are both appropriate ways to find out what the requirements are in your community.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote