View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Have your principles harmed your health?

Have your principles ever gotten in the way of your health? Some of you are aware that my wife left me at the end of August and that we have had some major issues during our separation which I am sure does not make us unique.

What is at issue is, when she moved out I told her that no matter what I would never short her the money that I promised to give her. Please understand that she is working and the only reason that I have insurance is that I am on her policy at work. There is also a medical savings plan attached to the policy and we pay into that each month. The money she receives from me covers all of my policy costs plus 85% of the saving plan costs.

When decieded the amount to pay into the plan each month we were putting just enough to cover both of our prescription cost and nothing else. What has happened over the past 5 months is that the card was used to cover Dr visit co-pays, a root canal and two pairs of prescription glasses costing around $700. Because I took all 90 of one her meds that also cost an extra $100 that was not planned.

As of the middle of Dec all but a few dollars remained in the account. My prescription costs total around $1200 every 5 months and I do not have an extra $1200 just lying around and even with my son's help financially we would not have it.

So here is the delimna, I promised her that I would never hold back any money and I have not. Based upon the numbers I should be keeping around $200 each month but I can do that to her for if I do she will be out on the street and out of a job as the real estate company that she works for manages the condo she lives in.

With that being said I ran out of a heart med in mid Dec, then my AD a few days later but I did have anothe one I could take but it was not as effective. Over the next few weeks I will be running out of more of my meds. For of the meds that I can take will be switched to generics that I can get from Target for $4 but the other 3 will still run me $150 per month.

I wish I could say that I could make a long story short but no. Here is what happend to me these past two weeks being out of 3 meds or using a sub for one that I never should have taken. I was tired all the time and this got worse as time pasted, the same can be said of how the cold began to effect me. I would get chilled to the bone every day so cold that my whole body got tense and lastly the mood swings where I would sit at the computer or any where else in the house an just begin to cry and at time sob.

Thus by sticking to my principles and paying her all the money that I promised I put my life at risk. Particularly for another heart attack. This is an issue and problem that is now behind me for I will be able to pay for the balance of my meds along with the help of my PCP and same samples at times.

Have you ever done something like this or know of someone who has? I am curious to see if I am the only crazy one or if I have company.

Mike