View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Did you research what kind of effects soy and tapioca have on thyroid? I noticed that tapioca and soy flours are used often in gluten-free cookies and breads. One of my co-workers, who has some issues with thyroid, is very careful to avoid soy, tapioca, cabbage, spinach.
Notknown: Hi, haven't been around for awhile so this is a little late. My daughter goes to college so she doesn't get too much junk Gluten free food because it is expensive. She basically has a special chef who prepares every meal for her and it is mostly eggs and stir fry's and rarely a pizza. The college is pretty up with Celiac Disease and I don't think she is getting any cabbage, spinach and soy because she does not like that stuff. Since she isn't eating bread she is probably not getting much tapioca either.

Quote:
The ft4 and ft3 sure are low, and I agree with reducing PTU now at this point. You could always ask Elaine on the forum(s) and we hypos prefer to hava the ft4 and ft3 at least half-way up the range. (and not go by the TSH, it is often low in thyroid disease when under treatment)

Zinc is low too, maybe pyroluria?
Nora,
My daughter never got the pill cutter while in college so she continued on the higher dose and was tested the day she came home from college. It looks like everything is evening out.

TSH 1.8 (range .35-5.5)
Free T4 1.08 (range 0.89-1.80)
Free T3 3.6 (range 2.4-4.2)

Thyroid Recptor Antibody was positive 17% (range 16% or > positive)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO) was Extremely high 30 (range 0-3.9)

So this is definitely Autoimmune and goes along with the Celiac Disease.

She seems to be feeling great and the doctor said to keep her on the same dose....so I guess we will just keep a close eye on how she feels and her weight etc.

I did get some good DGST Vitamins and she felt 100% better pretty quickly so I think this will help with the zinc and copper.

She seems the happiest and healthiest she has been probably since birth. She just called from college and I asked how things were going and she said "Great I am having so much fun!" I said what are you doing that is fun??? She said, "I am writing a paper, it's fun to write!"

Tears....she would not have said that a few years ago...she was always so sick. When she was young 2-4 grade she was a good writer. When she got her period in 5th grade she started getting sick all the time and by the time she was in high school her writing papers were horrible and she struggled in school. Her grade average wasn't bad but it was not what she was capable of.

We get her blood work checked again in a couple of weeks so will keep you posted.

pyroluria?? Haven't looked into this yet.

Llonghair
Llonghair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote