View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had MS for 6 years; been dx for about 4 years. Started Betaseron 2 weeks after being diagnosed. It has always worked well for me at keeping new lesions away. It seemed to be less effective (for me) at decreasing the frequency and severity of flares. Therefore, I am currently on a double dose of Betaseron. My last flare much less sever than other flares. I attribute that to a combination of factors; I believe that one of those factors is very likely the double dose of Betaseron.

Here are some of the other things that I like about Betaseron:

Pros
  • It's a high-dose, high-frequency interferon. Based on what I've read, what I've heard at NMSS patient seminars and my neuro's recommendations, I believe that's the best choice for me.
  • It's a sub-Q shot; no injecting into the muscle. Has a small needle -- not a honkin' monster-needle like Avonex.
  • I've heard that the Betaseron injection sting less than Rebif.
  • Other than "cosmetic" site reactions (no pain, no bruising, no itching -- only red splotches), I, personally, don't have side effects
  • It's every other day; no daily shots. (Not a big deal for me; I could live with daily shots.)
  • I loved my auto-injector in the beginning. (I don't refer to it as my auto-inflictor, as some do; it was a life-saver for me -- made self-injecting much easier, until I decided I was comfortable enough to manually inject.)
  • It comes pre-packaged and is also pretty quick to prepare and inject.
  • Betaseron travels easier; no refrigeration required.
  • You can sign up for MSPathways program, which offers the following benefits:
  • They have an RN who specializes in MS and Betaseron who will give you free training to give your own injections, rather than just getting a Home Health nurse, or somebody who has just general knowledge about injections and MS. (I've often read of PwMS on one of the other CRABs who state that they seemed to know more during the training session than the training nurse! )
  • You will be assigned an RN who will call you regularly to check on you and answer questions.
  • You will have an opportunity to receive vouchers that will reimburse you for a part of the co-pays that your insurance requires you to pay.
Cons
  • Well, a con about Betaseron is that I have to give myself a shot every other day. Duh! But, seriously, I have not personally experienced that Betaseron has any drawbacks that don't also apply to other CRABs.
  • Some possible drawbacks include:
  • Many people experience flu-like symptoms with any other the interferons. Copaxone wouldn't have that possible side effect. I'm not convinced, though, that Copaxone would be as effective for me as a high-dose/high-frequency interferon.
  • There is some evidence of people developing possible problems with the liver on Betaseron and some of the other CRABs.
  • There is some evidence that use Betaseron and some other CRABs may lead to your body developing anti-bodies to them.
  • May experience site reactions, or necrosis.
~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pud's friend (04-17-2009)