View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend2U View Post
Dear Faith,
Thank you for the response. I'm curious as to why you started Beta, as opposed to the other choices. My neuro said it was the most potent and from the number of lesions I am not in the beginning stages... probably have had for quite a few years. Looking back, I know he is right. Was it this way for you...? I don't mean to pry, but don't have anyone to talk to going through anything similary. This is still new to me. Sorry if I'm asking too much. THank you for your kindness

Friend2U --

When my neuro finally confirmed MS (after many other possible dx, and after considering MS a possibility for a long time and MRI's finally confirming it), he told me, "It's a perfect time to be dx with MS." He meant that because there were two excellent workshops coming up in the area in the next two weeks with lots of good info about meds.

I attended both, and was convinced that a high-frequency, high-dose interferon was the way to go (Betaseron or Rebif). Betaseron sounded better to me for a number of reasons (less stinging/burning, no regrigeration, etc.), so I chose it. My neuro affirmed that B was a good choice for me.

First flare 01/2002; Dx with MS: 10/2003. Started Betaseron 11/03

About beginning stages, my first clue that anything was going on was a stroke-like incident, in which I lost the use of my left side. Was taken to hosp in middle of night via ambulance. Dx as probable stroke. Took 2-3 mths of rehabilitation to recover; used walker, etc. Was only 39 years old. Next flare 3 months later prompted a visit to Mayo clinic; dx as probable CNS Lupus. MS was considered both times, but not enough evidence to dx it yet. My neuro always said, "Lots of things mimic a stroke," and later, he said, "Lots of things mimic MS." He was careful not to dx it until he was sure.

You're not prying. It's nice to have someone to share about MS with. The only people that I know who have MS are my online friends.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote