View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neck pain-Disc herniation and bulge

Hello,

Kind of coming to my wits end and thought I would try this forum for help and information.
Had a head on car accident almost a year ago. Had neck and back pain from accident. Neck pain became worse as time went by. Had headache 24/7 that aspirin only dulled(3 large bottles over 3 month period-Excedrin maximum strentgth) and did not touch actual neck pain. 5 months after accident had MRI that showed "c5-6 small to moderate sized left paracentral dorsal disc herniation with minimal spinal cord compression." and "c6-7 a broad based dorsal disc bulge with dorsally projecting osteophytes extending to both exiting neural foramina. There is mild spinal cord impingement and mild bilateral exiting neural foraminal stenosis." I have tried physical therapy, chiropractic, yoga, and 3 nerve blocks in 3 different areas. Last nerve block relieved symptoms for 3-4 hours stopping headache and lessening neck pain some. But after 3-4 hours the pain came back and actual neck pain is worse than ever, even though headaches are about 80% of the severity before but they are gradually getting worse as well and they are still 24/7. Losing more sleep than before last nerve block and I am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? Scared of fusion but I am thinking of considering disc replacement, at both levels, which is not FDA approved yet. I am 50 years old and starting to think this in not going to get better by just waiting. I have limited movement and lifting altogether. I do not have symptoms of radiculitis yet but my left shoulder has become painful to movement recently. My orthopedist said surgery would be a consideration after the last nerve block. Should I get second opinion from neurologist? If moving on to surgery: Neurologist or Orthopedic surgeon? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Rico1957 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
numb (02-24-2012)