View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie D View Post
I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac... But this scares me. I'm afraid to eat or drink when I'm home alone.
What do all of you think?
I think I'd be afraid too. I have some difficulty with chewing and swallowing, which is tough enough. I know what you mean about hypochondria. I feel like that sometimes too. I imagine it's even worse if you don't even have a positive dx. But don't ignore it if it is something that is increasing.

I would get a referral to see someone who specializes in this area. I think a speech pathologist is the right kind of dr?

Then take a look at what you're eating/drinking. Is it certain types of food/drink that cause the difficulty? My trouble is generally restricted to dry foods like bread and crackers, swallowing large pills. I'll know right away if I'm going to have trouble too with swallowing, because I just can't seem to chew that sandwich quite enough and have had to spit the bit out (too dry? my mouth gets tired?). Do cold drinks cause you more trouble than hot drinks? Do you have no trouble at all with things at room temp?

I don't know what they can do, but I think finding out which items cause issues and staying away from them is part of it, but I haven't been evaluated by a speech pathologist yet.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
the Bird (02-04-2008)