View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default more school refusal from depression

Donna,

Thank you so much for your very quick reply! As you probably know, one of the hardest things about being a parent of a special needs kids is how frustrating it is to be in the midst of a problem!

I didn't give you much info in my previous post, so this may clear things up a bit: my son (Ethan) does have an IEP, and we have been working closely with the school to meet his needs. He currently starts his school day at 3rd period (9:25am), and the school is a 10min bike ride away. The problem is, when he gets depressed he sleeps/retreats to avoid thinking about what is depressing him. Then he feels that he has "failed", and things just get worse. Today he didn't go to school at all. Once he gets up & out the door, however, he is happy & usually comes home from school in a great mood.

To make it worse, now he refuses to see the psychiatrist, and of course we can't change/increase his med. without seeing her (or even renew the current medication).

So, what I need is some ideas of getting him up at ~9am (or 10am if he skips 3rd period, which is OK). Taking away privileges (eg computers, DS) turns things conferentational and doesn't work well at all. We've tried loud alarms, talking to him, singing to him, shaking him (gently), picking him up (he fights us), putting water or ice on him, having his older brother talk to him (worked for while). Any other ideas? Or any other resources you can think of?

Again, thanks for your help & your input!

-- Buffy
buffyjoseph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote