View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 04:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Hey out there!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hello, everybody!

Thank you so much, DocJohn, for creating this forum. I think there is considerable need for it.

I am LIZARD, mom to Drew, 12, dx'ed with autism at 2 1/2 and a 13 mm ACM I at 5 1/2. So far, so good, after a couple of nsg opinions. We went to TCI 2 years ago and had a full eval to determine any ACM-related symptoms Drew has that might warrant surgery, and I suspect that, even though we were told that nothing seemed to warrant surgery anytime soon, any impact the ACM may have on his autism, especially since I run across parents all the time whose kids have both conditions, should be given serious thought and discussion. I adore my nsg (I have always had hydrocephalus, and yeah, I wonder about any connection it may have to Drew's ACM as well), and I was relieved to hear TCI (Dr. Bolognese) corroborate Dr. R's thoughts about any future surgery for the ACM, but I wonder what--if any--improvement Drew might have from surgery. What if he never has the surgery because he doesn't have "classic" debilitating ACM symptoms, yet we learn that others have seen significant improvement in their autism issues because of it?? I do know of some who have, in fact.

I have had multiple brain surgeries myself and appreciate the seriousness of it and the risks involved, but I can't help but think it should be more openly discussed.

Thoughts?? Good? Bad?? Ugly?? I can handle it.

Thanks!

LIZARD
LIZARD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote