Thread: Scared
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ally,

Welcome to NeuroTalk! Glad that you stopped by.
I can relate to everything that you are going through. In 2000 I had a herniated C5-7, and I too took a hiatus from work and life. I found a wonderful Neurosurgeon here in Ohio that gave that back to me. I had fusion surgery in Oct of 2000. He did take bone out of my hip to use for the disks. The surgery was a piece of cake and recovery was not so bad. I couldn't drive for two weeks, I was in a neck brace for about that same time. The worst part was the healing of my hip, not my neck! My neck did not hurt at all. I was back to work in 4 weeks. I was a reservationist at that time for a major airline ..so I didn't do any heavy lifting etc...and was released to go back to work. I didn't have to go through physical therapy or anything...I was able to do my daily workouts which I hadn't done in close to 6 months. My life was put back together again...and so was I! I played softball, volleyball, and did all the things that I loved to do but couldn't. I did this for 6 years after the surgery and had no problem what-so-ever. Neck pain? What was that??!!! Then I got in a car accident in Dec, 2006 and had to go through this again. I was rear-ended and it caused my C4 to totally blow. I went back to the same neurosurgeon for an MRI and he gave me the bad news that I had to go through this again. This time, more extensive. He had to fuse C2-7 and do a plate inlay. I wasn't so much concerned about the surgery because I knew what was coming down the pike. I was more concerned about the range of motion that I would have in my neck. My doc said I would lose about 50 percent.

Surgery time came....I went through it with flying colors. I had stitches in the front of my neck (they go in through the front for cervical disks) and once again had bone taken out of my hip to be used in my neck. My neck didn't hurt at all...it was the incision site on my hip. It is very uncomfortable to walk for a few days, and to stand up while sitting for a little bit. Same routine as my other surgery, can't drive for two weeks, wear neckbrace..this time for 2 months. I wouldn't have had to go through physical therapy this time, but I felt a burning sensation down my back and he sent me for 4 weeks. Once I was done, that feeling went away. My neck is perfectly fine, I just don't have the range of motion that I once did.

I also developed Trigeminal Neuralgia due to my C3 being affected in the accident. This is by far the worst pain that I have ever felt in my entire life.
I wish this could be fixed as easily as my neck was. I don't have any problems with it at all.

I know it is a scary feeling to think that someone is going to be working around your spinal cord and those thoughts of paralysis come in and won't leave. I had those before my first surgery. I was scared to death that I was going to end up paralyzed. I believe whole-heartedly that you will be fine and go through the surgery with flying colors! Don't be afraid to ask your doc questions, that's what he is there for. You will be so glad that you had the surgery, it gives you back your life and you are pain free. It is definitely worth it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, or come check out the chat room, there are wonderful people in there that would love to meet you!
On average, I am in there from 6-10p eastern time..usually everyday.

I am so glad that you posted your questions and reached out here on NeuroTalk. I look forward to meeting you soon!

80'sGrrl (aka Melissa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally46 View Post
Hello everyone! This is the first time I have ever posted anything, so please bare with me. I am a 46 yr old female that has been off work & life for the past 10 months due to a herniated disk @ c6/7. I have also been medicated with oxycontin twice daily for pain management. I have tried, chiropractor, acupuncture, physio therapy, ice/heat with some relief but still suffer with sharp throbbing pain in back at the disk site. I have had appointments with two surgeons and have found one that I am very comfortable with. He has also recommended surgery. Either fusion or disk replacement (my choice). I am terrified to have surgery but it looks like this may be the only chance I have to return my life to normal. Has anyone had either of these surgeries? I really need to talk to someone about this!

Hope to hear from you
80'sGrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote