View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow

((((((James)))))),

This is just a thought. It might be too late to do anything about it now, but, ... here goes.

I'm getting up there in years (I'm just one year younger than my Father was when he died). I started worrying about my situation about a year or so ago. I wanted my son to have signing privileges on my checking/savings account. He can't right now because he's incarcerated (less than two months to go ). The other issue was that the bank needed a photo ID from him in order to add him to my checking account as a co-signer (right now, he doesn't have a photo ID).

What they WERE able to do was add him to my account like this:

BARBARA My_Last_Name
ITF My_Son's_First_and_Last_Name <<-- that 'ITF' means "in trust for"
Address1
Address2

Now, James, I'm no expert, but, you might want to contact your bank and also the Social Security Administration and see if your wife can add you as a signer to her checking account with the "In Trust For" designation. That way, I believe, your Social Security check could be deposited directly into her account.

As to this part:
Quote:
My SSDI application stated I cannot handle funds, now I have a checking account, that's going to look good.
I really don't think you have to worry about that. The Social Security Administration DOES realize that people have to have a LIFE and that sometimes there are rules and complications that make things much more difficult than they need to be.

I hope my suggestion works for you. It would actually simplify things. Good luck.

Hugs.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote