View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Saw my neuro yesterday and she confirmed I am in a flare. She recommended I do IV steroids for 3 days then a two week taper. Of course, today I feel 60% better (gee, how much did stress account for?). So I have some questions for those of you who have been through this:

First since they have already done all the paperwork, should I go ahead with the treatment, even though I feel much better?

Second, how bad might I expect to feel? I took a month-long treatment of steroids for RSD 30 years ago and remember having an upset stomach. But the doctor said I may feel hyped and jittery.

Third, the doctor also said she wasn't 100% certain I would feel much improved with the steroids since I have a multitude of "subtle" symptoms (mouth, tongue, throat, leg & arm weakness, minor foot drag, numbness and tingling in fingers, toes and thighs), not a major loss of function (one arm going limp).

I did an oral taper in August (I've never had the IV steroids yet)

Eat yogurt just before or with your oral steroids. It should help you not have a tummy ache.

Not sure what you can do about being jittery. I had some Ativan left over from the year before when I was taking the steroids. If I got too jumpy or started to bounce off the walls, I'd take a half of a pill. I did a lot of drawing, crocheting and computer solitaire games during that time.

I was taking the steroids because I had really bad vertigo at the time. It would hit me and knock me down and wouldnt go away for an hour or two, and I never knew when it was going to hit. Luckily it hit me twice while I was at the doctor's office. Once right in front of the doctor. Once when he was out of the room.

I'm hoping I'm not about to get hit with that vertigo again. Last night I was feeling kind of off...like the room was going to start spinning. I can deal with numbness and weird pains, but I cannot stand vertigo. So, I'm hoping that I'm not about to have a little flare of the sicky dizzies.
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote