View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Happy endings I hope

Well the results of my blood test came through and it was not good - my understanding the 150 represented a good prognosis, 100 and under a very poor prognosis. Mine was 102!! In any event my dentist and I spoke at length on the alternatives - at least a 3 month wait along with attendent pain and antibiotics with no guarantee the situation would change - or to go ahead and have the extraction done. I felt the dentist was competent and fully aware of the consequences for me if the extraction failed to go well. I am pleased to say that I had the extraction done yesterday morning, the tooth came out very easily - it was very loose - and the extraction site irrigated well with a saline solution. A small amount of gauze packing for a couple of hours and the bleeding had stopped, I drank small amounts of water regularly, had a small bowl of porridge oats for supper, maintained my schedule of pain meds and pencillin and felt ok. I cleaned my teeth carefully before bedtime and rinsed my mouth with Chlorhexidine Gluconate (given to me by my dentist), I woke up once during the night and took more pain meds and pencillin. This morning I had a good breakfast of scrambled eggs and followed the regime my dentist had instructed me on - every 3 hours rinse my mouth with a mild warm salt water, after each meal rinse with Chlorhexidine. I am feeling great although still nervous at my long term prospects. I cannot praise my dentist enough - kind, considerate, informative and gentle. He telephoned me twice after my extraction to ensure that I was feeling ok, he had already given me an emergency number to call if I needed. All in all I feel good about things however, time will tell. This site has given me support which is very much appreciated. Thank you. Margaret
daisyem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote