View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
I've never worked with ALS patients, but, I HAVE worked with stroke patients -- back when I was still working (around the time the dinosaurs were roaming the planet ).

I was a certified home health aide. I was taught by the local Visiting Nurse Association how to transfer a patient safely.

Even though the patient cannot control his/her legs, the stability of the legs because of the long bones, together with the bracing that you would provide, should allow you to do a safe transfer.

If the lift, as mentioned above, isn't feasible for you, you might want to give your local VNA a call and ask them to show you how to perform a safe transfer.

Take care. Bless you.

Barb
The closest I could come in our area is the Home Health Care association, who said they would have to come out, and Medicare would pay for it. Well, she doesn't yet have medicare. I wish I could just go to someone and they could show me. Right now I try to lift her, from the front, from her chair, but then have to get behind her, hopefully without dropping her, so I can walk her to the toilet, then must again get in front of her to set her down. All pretty precarious as I'm moving front to back to front. Can someone verbally describe to me the correct way to do this? Thank you so much for your assistance.
comforter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote