View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey Margaret!
I'm SO glad that you didn't wait and had that infected tooth out!

The fact that it came out so easily tends to indicate that there was alot of bone loss already taken place. This does not mean that the area won't heal in with new bone, it just means that it was the right thing to take it out before it got any worse.

He's having you rinse with the chlorhexidine to keep down the bacteria that can form from food or debris that may get in the socket. This way if the socket stays clean, the immune system will not have to deal with infection and hopefully the bone will fill in nicely. It's an added protection for situations like yours. But still keep up with the warm salt water rinses too!!

I'm glad the surgery went well and it sounds like you have a great nutritional game plan already in motion........ good for you!!

Please try not to worry about the what if's ....... instead.... send lots of positive energy to the area as it is healing and tell your body it has no choice but to heal well!!

Keep us informed of how you are doing ~'.'~

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyem View Post
Well the results of my blood test came through and it was not good - my understanding the 150 represented a good prognosis, 100 and under a very poor prognosis. Mine was 102!! In any event my dentist and I spoke at length on the alternatives - at least a 3 month wait along with attendent pain and antibiotics with no guarantee the situation would change - or to go ahead and have the extraction done. I felt the dentist was competent and fully aware of the consequences for me if the extraction failed to go well. I am pleased to say that I had the extraction done yesterday morning, the tooth came out very easily - it was very loose - and the extraction site irrigated well with a saline solution. A small amount of gauze packing for a couple of hours and the bleeding had stopped, I drank small amounts of water regularly, had a small bowl of porridge oats for supper, maintained my schedule of pain meds and pencillin and felt ok. I cleaned my teeth carefully before bedtime and rinsed my mouth with Chlorhexidine Gluconate (given to me by my dentist), I woke up once during the night and took more pain meds and pencillin. This morning I had a good breakfast of scrambled eggs and followed the regime my dentist had instructed me on - every 3 hours rinse my mouth with a mild warm salt water, after each meal rinse with Chlorhexidine. I am feeling great although still nervous at my long term prospects. I cannot praise my dentist enough - kind, considerate, informative and gentle. He telephoned me twice after my extraction to ensure that I was feeling ok, he had already given me an emergency number to call if I needed. All in all I feel good about things however, time will tell. This site has given me support which is very much appreciated. Thank you. Margaret
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote