Thread: Do pets mourn?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb yes, I do think they do.

Our middle cat was very attached to our Rufus ...he was a male, they had a great relationship. He used to come up to her and put his paw and leg around her shoulders. They'd wrestle and play and she would scream and he'd do that more...both were neutered too.

Then he was hit by a police car who used to hide behind the bushes in our yard.
He was about 2 yrs old. It was tragic..he never went in the street, and the police took him to the vet at 6am, but he was gone.

Well we all cried buckets, because Rufus was funny, but not too bright...but very lovable

We didn't expect the huge depression to hit our middle girl. She was out of action for a good 3 months. So I had to get another cat for her, to play with, but it was never the same.

This same cat mopes when my husband is not around for a while. On vacation he leaves us and comes home to work, and returns in a week or so. She always reacts to that. It is like he is leaving forever-she'll stop eating etc. I have to put out his shirts and jackets(unwashed) for her to lie on to keep her sane.

Our oldest cat does complain when I used to go to work, or if I am gone all day...she'll vocalize to my husband about it around 4pm. But that is the extent of that.

The deer up North allowed Rufus to hang with them. The deer always chase our other cats. I guess they thought he was a squirrel because of his coloring and bushy tail? This is a picture of him watching Effie (years ago) eat. We thought he would get stomped for sure, but nope! The deer always chased and tried to stomp our black cats!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 09-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote