Thread: Scared
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Scared

Ally, I had cervical spinal fusion levels C4 and C5 in 2002. From the moment surgery was over, I felt like a new person. The surgery was done from the front and I had a soft neck brace to wear while riding in the car. Very positive experience. In 2004, I had lumber spinal fusion and laminectomy levels L4 and L5. I went in to surgery in much pain, unable to walk unless bent over with a walker. After surgery no pain. Wondferful! I did have to have physical therapy to help with walking and rebuilding muscles in lower back. Both surgeries were blessings for me. Last May 2007, I had laminectomy levels C3, C4, C5, C6, and C7. I was losing use of right hand and arm. There was pressure on spinal cord that had to be relieved. I have a fabulous neurosurgeon, with whom I have the utmost trust and repect. He did my carpal tunnel surgeries in 2001 and 2002 also. This surgery in May went well; however, my nerves were irritated during the surgery and I am still waiting for them to heal. I had therapy right after surgery for 3 months which helped a lot. Tomorrow I start with more therapy. My thoughts to you are to hang in there and try not to be afraid. If you need the surgery then have it. I will say though that with my neck fusion, my surgeon used donor bone rather than taking bone from my hip. I am a large person and this may have been why he didn't take bone from my hip. The recovery would not have been as good for me. Also I do have Titanian rods annd screws in my neck and hardware in my lower back. They show up on x-rays but other than that, I forget I have them. just be sure you are comfortable with your neurosurgeon. That makes all the difference. let us know what you decide to do. I will keep you in my thoiughts also. If I had it all to do over again, I would do the same. Oh, and even though my last surgery hasn't had the best outcome yet, I would do it again. There are risks we all take that are necessary in the long scheme of things. Take care. Hope this helps calm your fears.
Parkydoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote