View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth Checking In......First Infusion

Hello Tysabri Pals,

Had my first infusion today. As soon as the Tysabri was placed in my IV, I felt like I had just been infused with poisen ivy! Was so bad, I had to get the guy next to me to scratch my back LOL . Benedryl took most of that away, then as I was sitting there, I felt like my chest was getting extremely heavy and I started this cough. The nurse ran and got the doctor and turns out I had a mild anaphylactic reaction.

I carry an Epi-Pen with me, so when I heard anaphylactic, I said OH WAIT, I have my Epi. Then as I reached in my purse, I didnt have it! But more Benedryl seemed to help and I in no way feel it was a bad reaction, due to almost dying with a bee sting and knowing what a true anaphylactic emergency feels like.

They will be calling my Neuro tho and seeing what he thinks. I said NO, I want to continue, I can pre-medicate! The actual infusion was a breeze, got my vein on the 2nd try and just felt very cold going in. I was being overly stressed for no reason.

I told the nurse and the Neuro there that I will not go back to a interferon, so I really need to give this a try. I think it will go fine. I hope my Neuro will let me continue. Just like with Avonex, we learn as we go when we first start as to what we need to premedicate. Altho, anaphylactic I know is nothing to mess with.

The Neuro there was so nice, they had to wait for me to leave since I had to stay longer and he sat and talked to me for quite awhile. He said he was on call tonight and if I had any more problems at all to call him. I had a huge headache, but took a Fiorcet and it's alot better.

Sorry, so long but all excited even with the reactions! I am looking forward to a long relationship with Mr. Tysabri.

Hugs,

"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (02-08-2008), Jodylee (02-08-2008), Riverwild (02-08-2008)