View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comforter View Post
Has anyone devised a good way to transfer a patient, who's legs are totally useless for standing on, from the wheelchair, to the toilet, and back.?? I've been lifting her from the wheelchair, standing in front of her; then moving to the back, to walk her to the toilet, hopefully without dropping her; then moving back to the front again, to set her down. There has to be a better way. Can anyone verbally describe the best way. Thank you so much.
I have been doing this for my wife for about 5 years now and you really have to be careful that you don't injure her or you. The slightest mistake could result in a big problem.

I bring the chair as close as possible to the toilet, lift my wife from under her arms and carefully swing her over to the toilet seat. Use the reverse procedure to place her back into the chair. I had someone from the March of Dimes train me on how to do this quite some time ago and there is a definite way on how to stand and use your legs to bear all the weight.

You can install a ceiling track and attach a special motorized lift to this which makes the lifting easier. They have a special harness for using the toilet but I'm not sure just how much time this takes to get on the patient and when it comes to MS and bathroom needs, you often don't have a whole lot of time.

I hope this info helps you a bit.

Harry
Harry Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote