View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
You wouldn't believe it - but I went back to my GP and told him my concerns so he said well start on 37.5mg tablets.
During a most revealing discussion with a psychiatrist on the topic of applying psychotropic meds to head-injured people, I learned that it was her experience to prescribe in tiny doses, sometimes as little as one tenth the smallest dose. She had greater success with her more seriously impaired patients.

I also learned during a painful two years that my body does not take kindly to any of the antidepressants, most especially those that mess with serotonin levels.

It's far too easy to tip the balance of brain chemistry in the head-injured population, especially with powerful meds. It's also far too easy to be prescribed the wrong med (in all innocence) based on psych symptoms. Two years of believing the meds a doctor prescribed would make my depression better landed me in a hospital. A more competent doctor growled when he read the history and set me on a better path.

Eh, we are all different and I don't want to come off as alarmist on this topic, yet I firmly believe we head-injured people are best served by a very conservative approach to meds for depression. Good luck to us all.
Fogbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote