View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Advice Needed

Ali's mum here - needing advice on what I should do for the best
I was talking to someone a couple of days ago about Alison having RSD and they asked how she injured her ankle
I explained that she was walking down the steps of the public building I work in and that the bottom step is only half the height of the others which she didn't notice so she ended up overstepping and twisted her ankle
The person I was talking to said had we checked that the steps conformed to UK Building Regulations as he was sure that the law stated that all risers on steps should be of equal height
This moring I measured the entrance steps and all of the risers are 150mm except for the bottom one which is 90mm. It looks like the reduction in height happened when the carpark was resurfaced
I rang Building Control who confirmed that the steps breach building regulations and as such could have been a contributory factor in Alison's initial injury
Obviously no-one could have envisaged that Alison would have developed RSD as a result of this and I am really torn about what to do now
I obviously want the local Council (my employer) to ensure that the steps are made safe as soon as possible as I don't ever want anyone else to go through what Alison is going through at the moment
Now I have to decide whether to persue a claim for the injury and ongoing complications. The problem is that in doing this I would basically be taking my own employer to court and it will not change things with regard to Alisons illness !!!
Has anyone any advice as my primary concern is to prevent further accidents but I also have to ensure Alison receives the best standard of care available (which isn't always available through the British NHS sstem)
Has anyone experienced something similar or developed RSD through a workplace accident
Any ideas what I should do ....?