View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default smoking and oral surgery

Hi Ms Cherokee,

Extraction of the wisdom teeth can cause limited opening for a week or so because the jaw has to be opened wider than normal to gain access to these teeth. This stretching of the jaw muscles causes a temporary spasm to occur and once the mouth is closed, the muscle cramps up. Inflammation from thst type of surgery will also cause limited opening of the jaw as well.

Your lower molar that is being extracted next week could cause some TMJ discomfort post operatively. Mainly because there will be some pressure on the lower jaw during the procedure and this can cause some facial ligaments and muscles to cramp up which causes inflammation in the joint area. Sometimes pressure on the lower jaw can temporarily displace the TMJ, which again sets up for some inflammation and cramping of the ligaments.

The best thing to do is prepare yourself ahead of time for the oral surgery. This includes the arnica, as you have already done, soft nutritious foods for at least a week or so post operatively, salt for warm water rinsing, vitamin C, B complex and a good mutli vitamin to help keep the immune system healthy.

Pre operatively, between now and then, choose a cd that makes you feel relaxed. Play it once a day so your body gets accustomed to relaxing to it. Play that cd during the procedure. Most dental offices have cd players with headphones, if you don't have your own. This technique works really well especially if you prepare yourself ahead of time.

Perhaps most importantly....... stop smoking. I know this is not what you want to hear, but smoking is the one sure thing that can cause a dry socket to occur and prevent proper complete healing of the socket. I have seen this scenerio countless times, it is very hard to treat, it is painful and it is totally avoidable.

Pain meds...... don't take anything that makes you vomit. I have patients that do great on the arnica if they use it several times a day along with warm salt water rinsing. Do both for several days post operatively. It is important to be able to eat afterwards so any meds that you take for pain, even advil or motrin, will not bother your stomach. Again, smoking will diminish the effect of homeopathy and most OTC pain meds.

Please let us know how you do!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCherokee View Post
Yes, I know, I shouldn't smoke...nevertheless, I do, about a half pack a day. Brief background - I have RRMS, TMJ and periodontal disease (told it was caused by a combination of MS meds and genetics).

I had a root canal in lower molar 21 years ago. Had an infection under the tooth a couple of months ago. My dentist gave me antibiotics and said I could either have a repeat root canal or extraction. He said if it were his tooth, he'd have an extraction. I was leaning towards a second root canal but when I went back for a cleaning, my dentist said he took a closer look at the x-ray and recommended extraction only. So lucky me, I go in the day after Valentine's Day.

I am no stranger to having extractions/oral surgery. I had four permanent teeth pulled as a child due to overcrowding and had my impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed, which was an extremely painful experience that left me virtually unable to open my mouth or eat for well over a week.

I've read several of the extraction posts and recommendations and I already have my arnica on its way. I guess my main concern is keeping the pain - either from the extraction itself or my TMJ - to an absolute bare minimum and trying to avoid dry socket at all costs.

Any helpful hints/suggestions? I am almost positive the dentist won't prescribe pain meds. If he does, it will be hydrocodone which makes me barf every time so I refuse to take it.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote