View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Jo not one word to me...since you've met me and the first thing you said was I was skinny...but I have not always been...

You have to get into a mindset to do this for yourself...not someone else!

In 2002, when I graduated from college, I weighed 192 lbs. What motivated me to lose weight was the pictures from the graduation party. It was also my 50th birthday party. I had 75 people in my backyard and had a fully catered party with my friends, family, and classmates. There were a lot of photos taken along with me in my cap and gown!

When I saw those pictures I was horrified - who was that person! It was ME!!! That next week I sat down with my PCP and my neuro and told them I had to get the weight off. My cholesterol was 262 (it's a genetic thing) and I just felt horrible.

So I went on a very strict Atkins program. 6 months, I lost 50 lbs. My cholesterol went down to 197! I was heavily monitored b/c Atkins is not well tolerated by people with MS. I did very well and have maintained the weight loss (and even lost more) for 5 years.

I do not diet anymore, I eat healthy.

I did it for myself, no one else. I knew that I had to b/c I was unhealthy. I had been dx'd with a chronic illness that I was going to be living with for the rest of my life. Putting medications into my body that were likely going to be causing side effects that I had no idea what but I did have control over the food I ate. And that's exactly what I did. I have control over something...food. It does not control me.

IV steroids wreak havoc on my body. Luckily now I cannot do them as often as I used to b/c of this clinical trial I am in, but I always gained weight but I have learned tricks so I didn't gain as much weight.

Good luck to all of you as get control of your eating habits. It is a lifestyle choice...long term, not short term.

I hope I didn't come off as lecturing! That was not my intent. I only wanted to tell you my story of how I conquered my weight issue. Maybe if you post a picture of yourself on the 'frig door, that would help! It sure did me!!!

I tried several programs before Atkins, saw a nutrionist, went to a support group, but I just wasn't ready. I was doing it for all the wrong reasons!

I love to eat, I love food. I have always wanted to be a caterer or open a restaurant. I love cooking for large groups of people! That's the one thing I miss about PODH being in the Navy. We always entertained due to his position...but we don't do that anymore.

I am here to support you! Clean out your pantries (or panties - whatever works) and get moving!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (02-08-2008), Dmom3005 (02-09-2008), froglady (02-08-2008), Jomar (02-08-2008)