View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm not really sure about beans. I don't have the intense symptoms with beans that I do with gluten. However, I have multiple sclerosis, and the protein in beans (as well as in gluten & dairy) may leak through a person with MS's "leaky gut" and may cause the body to attack the myelin in the nervous system.

The last few months I had been incorporating beans that were soaked overnight and rinsed off prior to cooking to aid in their digestion. I've recently been having more problems with my MS. I don't know if it is because of the beans, or because I had been using a lot of coconut oil in my cooking. The saturated fat in coconut oil is supposed to also be really bad for MS patients. I've decided to give both legumes and coconut oil up for now.

I have definitely found out that I have a hard time digesting anything with a lot of starch. I have tried everything from short grain rice, to corn products, to gluten free starches such as tapioca and potato starch. I've had problems with them all. So while there may be problems with cross contamination, etc. in bulk bins, I have found that starches themselves are a problem for me. I may consider trying the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
jennyj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote