View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

No story, Anne, was just lucky to be at a book signing and he autographed "The Partner" for me!

The one autograph I treasure is by Stephen Coonts. He wrote a travelogue book called the "Cannibal Queen." He owns a Stearman and flew a cross country trip in it and made a stop in Fallon, NV where I was living at the time. His plane was refueled by a very close friend of mine and he made mention of her in his book. She and I used to fly together all the time in her Piper Cub and my Cessna 172.

When I found out he was giving a talk in Seattle while I was there attending aerobatic judging school, I made a point of bringing that particular book (actually 2 of them, one mine and one for my dad) to the lecture. I asked him to autograph those 2 books. We had a nice chat and he was very surprised at those books for him to autograph. He said that book didn't sell very well and he was happy I enjoyed it. I told him that my dad flew that particular make and model airplane and that it was my friend (who was 70 yrs old) had refueled his plane in Fallon, NV.

The seminar was about aviation safety. It was the aftermath of the DC-10 crash in Sioux City and Captain Al Haynes was the featured speaker.

I do have stories about autographed books. I have one autographed by General Schwarzkopf.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote