View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow, this is a great idea. Well, I live in Georgia and the neurosurgeon I had from the time I was 3 months old(when I was diagnosed as having an inoperable cyst at the base of my brain that was causing hydrocephalus) until I was 17 was Dr. Mark Obrien. He was pretty good, but he was also all I had ever known so I was use to him. Last I heard he moved to arizona or arkansas because the malpractice insurance was cheaper there and he was in his 70s by this time. Then I had Dr. Mapstone from the time I was 17 until just after my 19th birthday when he moved to Oaklahoma. He was very into the(I guess its the neurosurgeon frame of mind) that I was a puzzle to be figured out and that if the CT Scan didn't show a problem then there certainly can't be one(news flash, definitely can be huge problems no matter what the CT shows!!!) and he was also always very quick to suggest exploratory surgery. Now the one surgery he did of mine he did good on, but it took forever to get him to listen to me(and I was 18 at the time) that there was a problem no matter what the CT showed, and it ended up with him taking so long to agree with me that I almost had my sight permanently damaged because the fluid had backed up and was pressing on them.
Now the neurosurgeon I have now is awesome. His name is Dr. David Wrubel(he and all of the above I've had out of Egleston Children's Hospital in Atlanta Georgia although Mapstone and O'brien are no longer there). He actually listens to me and doesn't treat me like I'm a puzzle that needs to be solved. He treats me like a person who happens to have a problem that needs to be solved(if you've ever been treated like a puzzle you know what I'm talking about). He took over my care when Mapstone left when I was 19. He is slow to operate, which I love because it means no uneccessary surgery and willing to try whatever he can to avoid operating. He also will listen to me and no matter what try to find the problem going on. Recently I started with bad headaches and had seen him after I went to my primary and ruled every thing else out. I was getting totally discouraged because the CT came back clean and the Nuclear Medicine Radiation treatment came back clean as well. He also tried adjusting the pressure in my head(I have a programable valve) and that just seemed to make things worse. So finally he scheduled me for an MRI, which is something all my other doctors had told me I couldn't have. He did that yesterday and low and behold it shows that my cyst is larger than it was before and because the catheter isn't as far into the cyst as it needs to be, its causing a chiari malformation which was causing the pain in the back of my head. So nothing but good words about Dr. Wrubel, an "eh hes ok but hes kinda old now for Dr O'brien, and a stay away if you like actually being listened too for Dr. Mapstone
Melissa21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote