View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default nicotine lozenges after oral surgery

Hi MsCherokee,

The nicotine lozengers are not a good idea after the extraction. For one reason, any form of drawing in of the cheek muscles, either on a cigarette, a straw or lozenger will disrupt the formation of the clot. Once the clot is disturbed, the surgerized socket becomes infected and the bone becomes dry.... resulting in a dry socket. Secondly, the chemicals in the lozenger will get in the extraction site just like they do from dragging on a cigarette. Some people try to cover up the socket with a piece of gauze whenever they smoke, but they find out within a day or two that it didn't prevent the dry socket from occuring.

You had mentioned that you also had periodontal disease. This condition alone can cause some complications during post op healing because of the chronic infection from the disease. Think of your immune system already dealing with the perio condition and now you have oral surgery to remove an infected tooth. Even in a non smoker, this is expecting alot of your immune system.

Your tooth may come out <easier> compared to one that was not periodontally involved because it may have less bone holding it in the jaw. However, the surgical site should still be taken care of the same way, irrelevant of the ease or difficulty of the extraction.

I know to give up smoking is very difficult........ but only you can do it once you've made up your mind ~'.'~

Please let us know how things go!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCherokee View Post
Thanks TooTired and Bryanna!

If the dentist does decide to prescribe pain meds, I'll ask him about Darvocet. I did have to take that years ago when I cracked my tailbone and I remember it helped with the pain but really messed with my emotions. I think I'd rather cry than vomit though any day!

As far as the smoking goes, I am going to give it another try this year. Last year I was very close to quitting when my mom passed away, then I started smoking full force again, about a pack a day. I am slowly weaning myself off. I still have nicotine lozenges left from my last quit attempt. I'm wondering if they would be a little easier on the extraction site, provided I kept them on the opposite side of my mouth. BTW I didn't realize that smoking would diminish the effects of meds - very interesting!

I love the CD suggestion - now I have to figure out which one - hmm, decisions, decisions.

And thanks much for the heads up that this extraction may cause a flare up of the TMJ. I asked my dentist about it but he acted like this was going to be a cake walk and shouldn't effect the TMJ. LOL, I know my own body well enough to know that virtually nothing is a cake walk.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote