View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi terry

Yes physical therapy has really helped me. I went on the rehab programme at GOSH which I mentioned earlier. It uses a multi-disciplinary approach but mostly focuses on desensitization and physio; it was one of the hardest things I have ever done but the best thing I have ever done too. It totally cured the RSD in my arms and back. It also greatly improved my leg. Although my leg still hurts a lot, it is far less sensitive to touch and I have regained full range of movement. I have learnt to ignore, well cope with, the pain (as far as that is possible with RSD!) I continue to do physio every day and I am certain that with time my leg will recover completely too.

The reason exercise is so important with RSD is that it releases endorphins,(which actually translates to 'morphine within'!), the natural painkiller inside our bodies. Exercise also increases oxygen supply to the muscles which helps to reduce swelling and discolouration of a limb. Increased oxygen supply is also known to decrease pain- which is why some people find help from HBOT. Exercise regains function of the limb and also restores muscle strength. It also boosts energy levels in the long run because as your muscles get stronger, your stamina increases so you can do more. Regular exercise improves sleep quality so that coping mechanisms are better and you are more able to cope with the RSD pain.

Sorry about such a long message, I could ramble on for ages about this- as you might have guessed I am a huge fan of these intensive physio programmes for kids! But for good reason I think because I know so many children with success stories after going on them.

I hope this helps. Keep up with the positive thinking

Estrella
estrella8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (03-01-2008), Sandel (02-10-2008), tayla4me (02-09-2008)