View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Julie

Hi - a wheelchair is very helpful - I use cane/walker/or hang on to walls inside but absolutely need more help when try to go out... I have a manual chair and an electric "scooter" chair - both of which help tremendously when I go anywhere...

My insurance at the time paid only for a manual chair because their reglations require to qualify for electric you cannot ambulate at all (I'll bet if you cant use your hands that may help qualify)... even thogh I am not short I am thin - and goal was to get a chair that was small, very light, and would fold up and be able to be thrown into a car in a minute - my insurance sent out a company to fit just one like this for me - its very very, manuverable, and thin, so dont need extra wide doors, etc.... and keeps me from falling on my head - which I do way too often...

I got an electric scooter on my own about 4 years ago because I found trying to get any distance at all on the street extremely difficult cause of asphalt, etc... so got a tiny 3 wheel scooter that comes apart if necessary and I can at least get around the neighborhood - its very handy - and again - no falling.... this I had to buy on my own....

To me size was important - smaller the better - but - if you get a scooter type electric chair - be sure that it is big enough for you - if its not one could easily tip over (I used to ride motorcycles so that helps me think about center of balance and not tip - since I've got to think about keeping balance low)... also nice to have some kind of basket to put "stuff" in.....

Also, on the manual chair, since I think it was really made for kids - they included a cushion that accomodates longer legs, and its a perfect fit - that can make a huge difference...

Also, with both - I use them just like I did when riding bikes - make sure to catch peoples eyes in cars crossing streets, etc... they arent looking for wheelchairs and wont "see" you....

Good luck with this!
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote